- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons barley flou
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (I used honey)
- 3/4 cup raw macadamia nuts, soaked 2-6 hours in 2 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup (I used 3 tablespoons honey)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (I used 2 tablespoons honey)
- 2 teaspoons agar flakes
- pinch sea salt
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 2 pints strawberries, washed, sliced, and lightly sweetened
Make the Crust
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and position a rack in the center of the oven. Line the bottom of an 8 or 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and lightly oil the sides.
- Add the oats, barley flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl of a food processor; blend until the oats are ground. Mix the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla together. Pulse in the spelt flour and salt, then with the processor running, drizzle in the coconut oil mixture and mix until the flour is moistened.
- Press the crust onto the bottom and sides of the prepared pan, about 1 1/4-inches up the sides.
- Bake the crust for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside while you make the filling.
Make the Filling
- Drain macadamias and place in a blender along with the 2 cups water. Blend on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the macadamia milk to a medium saucepan along with the vanilla bean seeds, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, agar, and salt. Whisk until the mixture comes to a simmer. Then loosely cover and simmer for 15 minutes, whisking every 5 minutes or so.
- In a small bowl combine the arrowroot with 2 teaspoons of water then whisk it into the simmering custard. Remove the mixture from the heat then let it cool for 10 minutes. Whisk to smooth, then pour into the prepared crust. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes on the counter (until it stops steaming), then chill until firm, about 2 hours.