- 2 1/4 cups (318g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened about halfway (it should only indent slightly when touched)
- 2/3 cup (140g) granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 26 (208g) soft caramels, unwrapped, such as Kraft
- 3 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (128g) milk chocolate chips*
- 2 tsp shortening (optional)
- Maldon sea salt flakes or Fleur de Sel , optional
For the cookies:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour and salt. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until well combined (scrape bowl occasionally throughout entire mixing process). Mix in egg yolks and vanilla extract then with mixer set on low speed, slowly add in flour mixture and mix just until combined. Scoop dough out 1 Tbsp at a time (24g) and shape into balls then place on a flat surface and make an indentation in middle of cookies with thumb. Transfer to plates (leaving a little space between cookies for even chilling. Also don't just make indentation when cookies are on plates or they'll likely stick) and chill in refrigerator 45 - 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees halfway through chilling cookies.
- Transfer cookies to a baking sheet lined with a silicone liner or parchment paper, spacing cookies 2-inches apart (keep remaining shaped cookies chilled). Bake in preheated oven 14 - 15 minutes until set. Remove from oven and immediately use the back of a rounded teaspoon to make a deeper indentation in center (as it likely flattened out a bit while baking). Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.