- 1/4 cup hot water (but not boiling just hot tap water)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- melted butter, for brushing may use olive oil
- fresh cilantro or other herbs, for topping
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the water, sugar, and yeast and stir until the yeast is dissolved. Let it sit for 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to froth and rise.
2. When the yeast is foamy and smells like bread, add the milk, yogurt, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix the with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together. As soon as it comes together, stop kneading. It should be sticky, but should form a ball and be soft. Cover the bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place 1 hour or if not using right away overnight in the fridge.
When ready to cook divide the dough into 8 equal balls and using a rolling pin, roll each piece of dough into an oval shape. It should be about 6-8 inches long and about 1/4-inch thick, but no thinner. Repeat this method with the rest of the dough.
Source: Homemade Naan