- 5⅓ cups shredded sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- Melt 4 ounces sweet chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK TOPPING
- 6 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- Place sweetened condensed milk in a double boiler until slightly thickened (About 45 minutes). Keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease and lightly flour the cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Toss and mix well. Add egg whites and nuts and mix well.
- Using a round tablespoon drop macaroons onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 23 minutes or until golden brown on top. Place on cooling rack.
- Melt chocolate with shortening in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each increment until chocolate is melted. Drizzle chocolate over macaroons.