Source: adapted from a recipe in Chocolatier magazine back in 1993
Notes: I have a note that the original recipe (which I can no longer find, unfortunately) suggests that you serve this in a puddle of fresh raspberry coulis for a more formal presentation. I’ve never tried it that way but I imagine it would be both delicious and visually striking.
For the lemon curd:
- 3/4 (150g) cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- juice (~1/2 cup/125ml) and grated zest from 2 large lemons
- 4 tablespoons (60g) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
For the torta:
- 2/3 cup (60g) sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup (75g) blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (120g) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- icing/confectioner’s sugar, for dusting cake
To make the lemon curd: In a non-corrosive heavy saucepan, combine sugar, eggs, lemon juice and zest. Whisk until thoroughly blended. Add the butter. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Don’t let it boil! Transfer the curd to a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
To make the torta: Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch (27cm) round springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a circle of baking parchment. Gently press about half of the sliced almonds against the side of the pan, adhering them about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom.
In a food processor combine the whole toasted almonds, flour, baking powder and salt. Process for 10-20 seconds, until finely chopped. In a small bowl, beat the eggs lightly with a fork until frothy.
In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer at low speed, beat the butter for 30 seconds, until creamy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating for 2-3 minutes, until light in texture and almost white in color. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
Source: Feeding an Addiction with Lemon Almond Torta