- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the toppings:
- 1/2 cup caramel bits
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- First, in a small saucepan, add the butter and turn the heat to medium. It will begin to crackle and pop as it melts. Keep an eye on it. When the popping noises start to slow down, tilt the pan to gently swirl the butter. Keep an eye on it very closely, but keep cooking it until it smells nutty and brown bits appear in the butter.
- We only need 2 tablespoons of butter for the recipe, so measure out 2 tablespoons and use the small remaining amount for something else.
- Next, preheat the oven to 350, and grease a donut pan with 6 spaces very well with oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and sugar.
- In a small dish, stir together the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of the browned butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until well-blended, but do not over-mix.