Makes 3 8” inch layers or 24 cupcakes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar (I’ve used white or brown or a combination of the two and all work well)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (or other, nearly flavorless oil)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup coffee (you can use instant espresso granules instead, 1 tablespoon mixed with 1 cup water)
- 1 cup water
Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with butter and parchment on the bottom.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl until everything is well blended.
Add the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Evenly divide the batter between the three pans and bake until the top springs back gently when pushed, 20-25 minutes.
After 5 minutes out of the oven, cool the cakes on a wire rack before frosting.
Source: CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH BITTERSWEET SOUR CREAM FROSTING