- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup ice water
- 6 cups fresh cherries
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 Tablespoon water)
- coarse sugar, for garnish
PREPARE THE PIE CRUST:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Cube the cold butter and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. You can also use your clean fingers to work the butter into pea-sized pieces into the flour.
- Make the ice water in a bowl and the add ice water a teaspoon at a time to the dough base until the dough just comes together. You'll probably need about 8 to 10 tablespoons of ice water for this much pie crust. Try not to add too much water.
- When you can pull the dough together into a ball, knead it a few times and then divide it into a 2/3 piece and 1/3 piece. The 2/3 piece will be the base of the pie and the 1/3 piece will be the lid. Wrap the pieces separately in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.