Makes 1 (9”) pie
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, frozen and grated
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons ice water
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 4 golden delicious apples, peeled cored and thinly sliced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted browned butter, cooled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Crust: Place flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
3. Add butter and gently incorporate into the flour mixture until a fine mealy texture forms.
4. Fold in cheese until just combined and stir in water. Turn mixture onto a clean, lightly floured surface and gently knead the mixture into a disc. Cover dough disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. Filling: Place all ingredients, except for the butter into a large mixing bowl and fold together until well combined. Set aside and allow mixture to sit for about 1 hour.
6. Assemble: Once crust has cooled, divide in 1/2. Cover 1/2 and set aside. Sprinkle a little flour onto a clean surface and roll dough until about 1/8 inch thick.
7. Gently fold dough in half and carefully lift into a pie dish and unfold. Press dough into shell, cutting off any excess around the perimeter. Crimp the edge using your fingers and knuckles.
8. Gently fold the browned butter into the apple mixture. Pour filling into pie, forming an even layer.
9. Roll other half of dough until about 1/8” thick and cut into 10 strips of 3/4″x 11”.Gently lay 5 strips of dough across one direction of the pie, spacing them each even from one another. Form a lattice by arranging the remaining strips through the first strips. Trim the edges and gently press the ends into the crust of the pie.
10. Whisk together egg and water and brush egg wash over pie. Refrigerate pie for 30 minutes before placing onto a baking sheet and baking for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375˚F and continue to bake for about 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
11. Remove pie from oven and cool for at least 1 hour. Serve warm.
Source: Brown Buttered Apple Pie with a Flaky Cheddar Crust