for the blackberry chocolate cupcakes
- 12 oz (2 pints) blackberries, divided
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
for the blackberry buttercream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter, softened
- 2-1/2 – 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- reserved blackberry syrup
- for the blackberry chocolate cupcakes
- Set aside 12 blackberries for garnish (or 6 cut in half, if they are very large). Add the remaining blackberries and 1/4 cup sugar to a medium sauce pot, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the berries burst and become jammy.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving the blackberry liquid. You should end up with about 1/4-1/2 cup of blackberry syrup. Set the blackberry mash aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, spelt flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the oil, almond milk, and vanilla, and mix until completely combined, but not overmixed. Use a spatula to fold in the blackberry mash, until combined.