- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir lightly to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, then add coconut oil, milk, syrup and coconut palm sugar. Whisk wet ingredients until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add wet mixture. Fold gently until just incorporated.
- Add shredded coconut, carrots and apples. Fold with a spatula until ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour into muffin cups.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes.
A few weeks ago I was experimenting with different muffin recipes to include in my kids’ lunches. I like to make a few dozen on Sundays, then freeze them in plastic bags, so I can pull them out in the morning and add to their lunch boxes throughout the week.
This recipe was surprisingly delicious. It was kind of a “dump” muffin. I had a sorry looking Granny Smith apple, some limp carrots and a bag of coconut taking up room in my fridge. The combination was spot on! They may even be the best muffins I have ever eaten…and as an added bonus…they are healthy!
Coconut Carrot Apple Muffins
2 cups organic whole wheat flour (I love King Arthur flours)
1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 eggs (room temperature)
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar (or organic brown sugar)
1/2 cup organic shredded coconut
1 cup organic shredded carrots
1 cup organic shredded Granny Smith apples
Happy muffin making!